Investment Steps

This page describes the investment process step-by-step. We want to make sure that your investing progresses in a smooth and reliable manner.

Step 1. Get in touch

Our offer sparked your interest and you want to know more? Fill out the Contact Form and our representative will get in touch with you and guide you through all the possibilities and answer any questions.

If you are already decided about your investment and don’t need an introduction, you can proceed directly to Step 2 and fill out the Application for opening a trading account.

Step 2. Open a trading account

Trading account is the account on the trading platform that holds your funds and where trading takes place. Our strategies work on the MetaTrader4 platform, one of the most popular trading platforms in the world.

To open a trading account, you’ll need to fill out the Application and submit two documents: your ID and a proof of address, such as a utility bill, no older than 3 months.

Step 3. Deposit your funds

You can fund your account by sending a wire to our bank. Bank details will be available in the Client Portal, to which you’ll have access upon submission of your application.

Once we receive your funds, we’ll deposit them to your trading account and let you know. Bank wire is the only funding method that we support.

Step 4. Sign the LPOA

Once we receive you funds (or while they are on the way), we’ll ask you to sign a Limited Power-of-Attorney (LPOA) authorising the trader to trade the account on your behalf. It’s a simple two-page document that you need to sign and send the signed copy back to us.

Step 5. Monitor your investment

Upon receiving the signed LPOA from you, we’ll attach your trading account to the strategy selected by you and trading will start.

You can monitor your investment with the help of trading statements that you will receive by email. Monthly statements are sent on the 1st day of each month and daily statements are sent whenever there are closed trades on the particular day.

Step 6. Withdraw your profits

Whenever you want to withdraw your profits or the whole balance in your account, please send your request by email to support@scandinavianmarkets.com.

Your withdrawal request will be processed and the funds will be sent to your bank account within 2 business days.

Answers to commonly asked questions

Yes, client funds are kept in segregated accounts, totally separate from Scandinavian Capital Markets’ corporate assets. Withdrawals can only be made by the client.
Investments are held in USD. However you may deposit funds in any currency and they will be converted into USD. Currency conversion charges can be reduced by using an organisation such as Wise or Revolut.
We charge no management or deposit/withdrawal fees. The only fee that we charge is the 30% performance fee, meaning you keep the remaining 70% of profit made on the account. Profits are calculated using the High-Water Mark approach. It means that performance fees are charged only when your account Equity value is higher than it was in the previous month.
There is certainly merit is ‘not putting all your eggs in one basket’ and diversifying between a number of funds. Our systems allow this to be done very easily. It is necessary to respect the minimum investment requirements listed for each fund, as this ensures that all trades are allocated correctly and the account performs properly.

Full FAQ

Ready to get started?

Contact us and start investing today.

Start Investing

Why invest with us

Catering to every client

We offer trading strategies for any type of investor, from institutional to retail, from conservative to risky. 

Proactive approach

We proactively seek successful traders. After having thoroughly checked their trading strategy and offering it to our clients, we continue to closely monitor the trading. 

Start Investing
1
+

Years in the Market

1
+

Investment Strategies